Titanium Relocation – Moving Tips
All items should be completed. Not necessarily in the order listed
EIGHT WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Obtain a floor plan of your new residence and decide what household goods you want to keep.
- Begin an inventory of all household goods.
- Seek estimates from several moving companies.
- Contact your insurance agent, and ask them about your homeowners, or rental policy to determine whether your possessions are covered when moving.
- Establish a file for all moving papers and receipts.
- Arrange to transfer child(ren)’s school records.
- Choose a mover.
SIX WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Begin search for good health-care professionals in your new location.
- Fill out post-office change of address cards.
- Send your new address to anyone that might need it — insurance agents, credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, friends, relatives, etc.
- Clean out closets and dispose of all items that you will not be taking with you.
- Hold a moving/garage sale or donate items to charities.
FOUR WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- For self moves, reserve a truck or trailer. Obtain necessary moving supplies, boxes, twine, labels, etc.
- Start packing!!
- If your mover is doing the packing, arrange for it to be done one or two days before loading begins.
- Send furniture, drapes and carpets for repair or cleaning as needed.
- Gather valuable personal papers that you may need at your final destination location, including medical and dental records, school records, birth certificates, etc.
- Make travel plans and arrange any motel or other reservations.
THREE WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Arrange to have utilities (gas, electric, phone, cable, water, etc.) disconnected in your present home, and connected at your new home.
- Ready car registration and insurance records for transfer.
- Notify State Motor Vehicle Bureau of your new address.
- Arrange for child care on moving day.
- If necessary, reserve apartment elevator for pickup and/or delivery dates.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Arrange to move pets.
- Check with mover about moving house plants. (Some movers will not move plants.)
- Dispose of all items too dangerous to move, including flammable liquids.
- If necessary, have your automobile serviced and ready for the trip.
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Transfer all bank accounts.
- Cancel newspaper delivery.
- Have enough medication to last at least two weeks. Have prescriptions forwarded to a pharmacy at your final destination.
- Buy traveler’s checks.
- Make arrangements to pay for your move.
- Withdraw items and close safety deposit boxes.
TWO DAYS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Have mover pack your goods (unless doing it yourself).
- Defrost and dry refrigerators and freezers to be moved.
- Set aside valuable items to carry with you including jewelry, vital documents, money and valuable small items.
- Be on hand to answer questions and give directions to movers and stay until they are finished.
- Accompany driver for inventory of your household goods.
- Complete information on bill of lading and carefully read the document before you sign it.
- Make sure you have your copies of the bill of lading and inventory.
- Keep the bill of lading until your possessions are delivered, the charges are paid, and any claims are settled.
- Before the van leaves, take one final look through the house to make certain nothing has been left behind.
- Give the driver directions to your new home.
- Notify the driver and the van line where you can be reached during the move.
- Be on hand to answer any questions and give directions.
- You must pay the driver before your goods can be unloaded. This is a Federal requirement for interstate moves.
- Supervise unloading and unpacking.
- Check carefully for any damaged or missing items.
- Note on the inventory any damaged boxes or obvious damage to unboxed items before you sign anything.
Select the State Your Moving From…
Call Today to speak to a relocation professional who will assist you in in getting started.
Our Network of Moving Companies are trained professionals. We are committed in ensuring your move runs smoothly from start to finish.
Move Your household goods with confidence! Click Here to read more about Your Rights And Responsibilities when moving .